How can I help my child?
- Here is a list of questions that you should ask to help focus your child’s current choices and that will contribute to their success after high school :
- What strategies do you have in place that will enable my child to participate in workplace activities/programs?
- Who provides career guidance information at the school?
- Are there any workshops or resources I could access to learn more about the career guidance process?
- What can I do to help my child speak out regarding his/her success after high school?
- How can I get my child to communicate their career interests to me and school personnel?
- What if my child changes his mind?
Possible personnel who can answer these questions include teachers and school counselors.
- Here are some tips for you to learn more about career guidance at your child’s school:
- Meet the counselor and find out what their role is.
- Attend any career fairs, guidance workshops, financial aid seminars that are scheduled in your area.
- Contact the Education Service Center that serves your area for information about career guidance.
- Help your child explore extra-curricular and volunteer activities.
- Work with your child to use the internet to obtain career information.
- Contact the CTSP Center for help with your questions about career guidance.